DIY: Couture Talbott Tea Box
We know that all you tea lovers have lots of teas floating around in the kitchen. Since we love pretty organization ideas and reducing visual clutter, this DIY Talbott Tea Box will help keep all your teas together! This is a very simple project, you’ll need just a couple items to create this couture Tea Box!
Items You’ll Need:
-Unfinished Wooden Box with Hinges (the largest size at the craft store, we bought ours at Michael’s for $4.99)
-Acrylic Craft Paint (we used Wedding Cake by Martha Stewart from Michael’s)
-Decorative Knob /Drawer Pull (we love the pretty knobs at Anthropologie)
-Phillips Head Screwdriver
-Craft Sponge Brush (we started with a cheap bristle craft brush and it was shedding, sponge type was much easier!)
-Felt Feet (to keep from scratching surfaces. We put little feet under EVERYTHING!)
-Newspapers (we make a mess during paint projects!)
1. Remove the front clasp and fill tiny holes with wood filler/putty. Let the putty dry for about 10 minutes and then sand down the area where you filled the holes. We also gently sanded the box all over, since it’s such an unfinished wood material.
2. Remove the back hinges and keep those with the little screws, since you will be reattaching after painting.
3. Cover both top and bottom with paint using the sponge craft brush. After about 20 minutes of drying time, we went back over with another coat of paint. Since we made a little mess on the inside of the box, we decided to paint the insides, too. Another option is to glue down pretty stock paper, but we’re just not that good at cutting the paper to size!
4. Once the paint is dry, about 2 hours, screw the back hinges on and make sure the box is closing evenly.
5. Find the center of the top of the box and either drill a hole that will fit your knob/drawer pull, or go our route, and lightly start to make a hole with the screwdriver. That worked for us since the box is such a thin material, and our screwdriver was the exact size of our knob’s screw.
6. That’s it! Now fill up your box with your Talbott Teas and enjoy the pretty and functional couture piece!
Comments are closed